Changing Lives Through Education!
Legacy Traditional schools is dedicated to providing motivated
students with the opportunity to achieve academic excellence in an
accelerated, back-to-basics, safe learning environment taught by
caring, knowledgeable, and highly effective educators in
cooperation with supportive, involved parents.
With multiple locations in Arizona and Nevada, Legacy
Traditional Schools offers excellent benefits and compensation
packages for staff providing student services for grades K-8.
Reading Specialists are teacher leaders who are responsible for
supporting effective pre-K8 reading/language instruction and
student learning. Reading Specialists will work with teachers and
students in giving and administering reading interventions. In this
role, Reading Specialist professionals build capacity by supporting
struggling students individually as well as supporting teachers to
develop more effective instruction and assessment. Reading
Specialists work collaboratively with? teachers in building their
intervention and pedagogical knowledge, support teachers on a
day-to-day basis, and facilitate school-wide professional
development focused on how students learn how to read.
Essential Duties & Accountabilities
* Deep and broad understanding of research-based reading and
language interventions, including the specialized knowledge needed
* Solid knowledge of the K-8 reading standards.
* Expertise in using and helping others use effective
instructional and assessment practices that are informed by
knowledge of reading and literacy learning trajectories.
* Knowledge and skills for working with adult & child
* Leadership skills necessary to influence and support
educational efforts to improve the teaching and learning of
* Assists administrators, teachers, and school staff in
implementing and monitoring a comprehensive reading intervention
and literacy program.
* Collects and maintains appropriate records of student progress
and provides timely and accurate oral and written feedback to
teachers, school staff, students, and parents.
* Uses a variety of data to evaluate abilities and disabilities
of students and works independently and with classroom teachers and
school staff to adjust their instruction to meet the needs of all
* Serves as a member of the school data team to design,
implement, and monitor the school reading intervention plan.
* Coordinates the schools reading and literacy program.
* Maintains an inventory of reading intervention instructional
and professional materials.
* Creates a classroom environment conducive to positive,
* Facilitates instruction based on current research-based best
practices in reading and literacy.
* Uses district and state assessment data to improve
* Provides individual diagnostic testing to assess student
* Participates in team reviews concerning academic progress of
* Attends scheduled meetings and parent conferences as
* Plans and implements a program of study that meets the
individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
* Communicates objectives to students in a well-planned,
organized manner using clear and precise language.
* Communicates concerns and ideas with colleagues, students,
parents and community in a positive, professional and ethical
manner. * Maintains accurate, complete, legible and correct records
as required by law, district policy and administrative
* Assumes individual responsibilities which may be assigned by
the principal/supervisor and which may relate to committee work,
student activities, student supervision or other planning and
* Valid certification/endorsement in area of reading/literacy or
eligibility for certification
* Ability to receive and obtain a Level One IVP Fingerprint
* The incumbent in this position will be required to pass a
criminal history background check.
* Experience with Arizona and Nevada State Standards
* Experience with intervention groups and planning.
* Ability to analyze and use data to design, modify, and
evaluate reading intervention, instruction, and assessment
* Experience in a school/literacy leadership role
* Three or more years of experience as a K-8 general education
teacher or reading specialist.
* Experience and other qualifications as specified by the
Superintendent school, to improve reading teaching and
* Travel between campuses is required from time to time.
* This position requires the need to lift objects (up to 25
pounds) on occasion.
* This position requires standing for long periods at times,
sitting, kneeling, stooping and long periods of concentration.
* As funds allow, this is a Title I federally-funded position
with responsibilities that align to federal requirements. The
continuation of this position will be revisited annually based on